Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

OVER 98% PASS RATE FOR THE NCS, OCS, AND PCS EXAMS forums NCS Advantage Understanding lesions in visual field pathway.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Alex Turcios
      Participant

I am looking at the stroke lecture and it states that a lesion in the crossed fibers of the optic chiasm will lead to bitemporal hemianopsia. Based on how the diagram of visual pathway goes, it makes it look like the visual deficit would be binasal hemianopsia. Furthermore, the light on the right visual field would shine to the right nasal and left temporal. Wouldn’t the left temporal remain ipsilateral and R nasal cross in order for the R visual field to project to the L visual cortex? So wouldn’t a lesion to the crossed fibers of the optic chiasm lead to nasal visual field blindness?

Alex Turcios
      Participant

Wait a second, I think I figued it out. I came to realization that the nasal retinas are responsible to the temporal visual fields of each eye. I think I was struggling because I was not differentiating temporal and nasal visual fields to temporal and nasal retinas!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.