Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Melanie Natalie
      Participant

Hello,

There is a practice test question about a 10 degree scoliosis in a violin player where the correct answer was core strengthening and yoga….However, the Schroth Method indicates that yoga is not beneficial as well as stretching since Scoliosis is a multi-plane issue. They indicate that some moves can make the vertebral rotation worse. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Melanie

Jessica Lewis
      Participant

For this question its important to choose the best answer available to you. For this one, based on the patient history and the very mild curve, a strengthening program would work best for her.

I’m not as familiar with the quality or quantity of research comparing yoga and Schroth. There would be clinical utility in using the Schroth method/principles, but since this is not a choice, the next best thing is general strengthening.

Helen Carey
      Participant

I agree with Jessica in terms of the best strategy for answering questions with the best response, even if you have a differing clinical opinion. I remember thinking…”that was a stupid question” several times. Also, in the absence of conclusive evidence comparing the different methods, we can’t really say that our answers are incorrect.

It is very likely that therapists will leave the test disagreeing with questions and answers, especially in areas where they have clinical expertise. Obviously, your goal is to pass the exam, so try not to get wrapped up in the quality of questions. Your knowledge and expertise makes you a more effective clinician, so try to focus on what you have learned in this journey and not get caught up in the questions themselves.

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention so we can relook at the evidence for future exams.

Melanie Natalie
      Participant

Got it! thanks so much.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.