Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

OVER 98% PASS RATE FOR THE NCS, OCS, AND PCS EXAMS forums NCS Advantage Outcome measure cut-off numbers

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Liping Li
      Participant

For practice exam 2:

92. Based on the information provided, which individual would be considered a high falls risk?
      a. A 66-year-old male with a Berg Balance Scale score of 49
      b. A 79-year-old male with a Dynamic Gait Index score of 20
      c. An 82-year-old female with a Functional Gait Assessment score of 21
      d. A 90-year-old female with a Timed Up and Go time of 12 seconds
      Scores of 22 or less on the FGA indicate a falls risk. The other situations do not score below the falls risk cut-offs.

Less than 50/56 on Berg indicates risk of fall and less than 40/56 indicates 100% fall risk. Less than 23/30 on FGA indicates fall risk. So I think both a and c indicate patient have high risk of fall. Considering the ages of the patients and outcome measures (Berg for static balance and FGA for dynamic balance), I think choice A patient is more likely to fall compared to choice C patient. May I know why choice C would be considered a high falls risk instead of choice A?

Hi Liping,
      Thanks for bringing this to my attention! This question was written when the cut-off for falls risk on the BBS was 45/56. I’ve updated the question to have one correct answer.

bcasaday
      Participant

Where is it sited that the BBS <50 indicates fall risk? I have only ever seen 45 in the literature. Can you direct me to this information? Also is this information too new to be changed on the exam this year? Thanks!

bcasaday
      Participant

Wow! I totally missed that! Thanks!

Sydney Dalton
      Participant

So we should go off of the <50 on the Berg as being the cut-off for fall risk?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.