Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Karen C
      Participant

Uhthoff’s phenomenon is temporary, correct? It does not indicate a relapse or exacerbation. (It wasn’t fully clear that it is reversible in the module recording, so I am just making sure I understand correctly) Exercising with more frequent rests and / or using a cold pack during therapy to cool the patient down can help prevent Uhthoff’s phenomenon, right?

Also, with regard to medications, do we have to know the names of the medications and details? (Do we have to know both names, and frequency of administration?)

Karen C
      Participant

Also, why is the 25FWT used with persons with MS instead of the 10MWT?

Hi Karen,
      Yes, Uhthoff’s phenomenon is temporary (<24 hours) and is not indicative of a relapse or exacerbation. Interestingly, Uhthoff's phenomenon was once used as in the diagnosis of MS ("hot bath test") before MRI and CSF analysis were as advanced as they are now.

I don't recommend spending time memorizing the names and administration routes and timelines for the medications. I think understanding that different medications are used for managing relapses versus disease-modifying pharmacologic therapies and that various routes of administration are used is sufficient. There's a chance something super specific could sneak onto the test, but this is unlikely and your time is likely better spent on bigger topics.

The 25FWT is part of the MS Functional Composite assessment (https://www.nationalmssociety.org/For-Professionals/Researchers/Resources-for-MS-Researchers/Research-Tools/Clinical-Study-Measures/Multiple-Sclerosis-Functional-Composite-(MSFC)). This is likely why physicians who see patients with MS tend to use the 25FWT in their exams.

Chrissy

Karen C
      Participant

THANK YOU!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.