Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Christine Pelis
      Participant

I’m having trouble organizing the various theories in my head. There have been several questions with options including family systems theory, transactional model of development, ecological model of human development and Hierarchical systems model of development. Are these the same theories discussed in the motor control and motor learning handout. Where does Dynamic systems theory fit into these?

In relation to that the ecological theory is listed under Motor control theories and motor learning theories. Are they the same theory just different aspects of them. I may be making this more complicated than it needs to be but any insight would be great!

Thank you!!

Helen Carey
      Participant

Hi Christine,
      In the motor control and motor learning handout, I separated the motor control theories and the motor learning theories. Honestly, I have trouble sorting them out as well! I tried to provide specific motor implications for each to highlight their importance relative to clinical practice. Dynamic systems theory is the same at systems theory- I just tried to be consistent with terms from my resources (primarily the Motor Control textbook by Shumway-Cook & Woollacott). You’ll find that there is some overlap in the motor control and motor learning theories.

Family systems theory is related to family-centered care and is the view that individual and family functioning is an interactional and dynamic process. The transactional model of development is also related to family-centered care and emphasizes the reciprocal relationship between the child and and caregiving environment. The ecological model of human development is also related to family-centered care and is the role that the larger social systems have on the function of the family unit. (Effgen, 2nd Edition, p154). Yes, there is an ecological model of human development, an ecological theory of motor control, and an ecological theory of motor learning! While a bit frustrating to have 3 theories with a similar name, it kind of makes sense since the environment is such a critical factor in child/family functioning and motor control/learning. I think the best strategy will be to focus on the context of the test question to figure out what theories are related. In your study preparation, it will be a good idea to at least be able to categorize the theories into family-centered care, motor control, and motor learning.

In terms of motor control, there is currently more evidence to support the dynamic systems theory compared to the other theories, however, most still “exist.” Some theories are decades old and others are newer, but most continue to exist. The reflex theory seems to be one, however, that now has limited support. As therapists, having some knowledge about these theories helps us understand the evolution of our learning about motor control. Shumway-Cook & Woollacott feel that “…the actions of therapists are based on assumptions that are derived from theories. The specific practices related to examination and intervention used with the patient who has motor dyscontrol are determined by underlying assumptions about the nature and cause of movement. Thus, motor control theory is part of the theoretical basis for clinical practice.”

I hope that helps!
      Helen

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.