Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristin Hallberg
      Participant

31. A new test to diagnose rotator cuff tears in adults has a specificity of 25% and sensitivity of 90%. The prior gold standard special test for rotator cuff tears in adults has a specificity of 89% and sensitivity of 31%. Based on this data, what conclusion can you safely make?
      a. The new test will lead to few false negatives
      b. The gold standard test will lead to few false negatives
      c. The new test will lead to few false positives
      d. The gold standard test will lead to many false positives

It says the correct answer is A. Please explain?

Nick Smith
      Participant

Since the new test has a very high sensitivity, that translates to that if the test is negative then there is a high likelihood that you can rule out RC tear. This means there should not be very many false negatives. There could be a lot of false positives however with a specificity of 25% or when the test is positive you can’t feel confident to rule in the dx. Hope this helps.

Nick

Kristin Hallberg
      Participant

Thank you for discussing Nick!
      The specificity of the new test is 25% which means that 75% of ALL negatives are false negatives. So this is considered poor ability of the test to rule out – MANY false negatives. What am I missing?

michaela main
      Participant

Hi kristin this might help:

sen. = true positive/ true positive plus false negative
      spec.= true negative/ true negative and false positive

Kristin Hallberg
      Participant

Yes it does…omg my brain is playing games with me. Thank you both!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.