Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Becky Macalino
      Participant

Regarding Practice Exam 2: why is the answer stroke and not increased ICP? Is it because it is a grade 2 tumor and not grade 3?

Hi Becky,
      A grade 2 astrocytoma would be relatively slow growing and it was completely resected 5 months ago, so it is unlikely these new symptoms are related to this event. It is more likely that a sudden onset of these neurologic signs is indicative of a stroke, a new event unrelated to his tumor.
      Hope this helps!
      Chrissy

yinghua zhang
        Participant

I am also a bit confused about this one. I understand that his condition has a sudden onset. But with a hemorrhage stroke could also cause increased ICP. So to me there is not enough information to eliminate increased ICP from his symptoms. please help me thinking through. Thanks.

Hi Yinghua,
        Absolutely, increased ICP could absolutely cause the symptoms mentioned in this case. However, a hemorrhagic stroke causing increased ICP would still be classified as a stroke. Most strokes are ischemic in nature, so the better answer is the umbrella “stroke” answer rather than getting so specific to postulate about the type of stroke.
        Hope this helps!
        Chrissy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.