Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

OVER 98% PASS RATE FOR THE NCS, OCS, AND PCS EXAMS forums NCS Advantage Mid stance- knee hyperextension

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jackie Gomes
      Participant

Quick question: I can see how knee hyperextension in mid stance can be associated with Glut weakness, quad weakness and plantar flexor spasticity as in Q 78 of Exam 3 but a bit confused in reasoning how knee hyperextension occurs in quad weakness, ham weakness and Plantar flexor weakness in Q 3 of the same Exam 3.
      In my reasoning it seems pl flexor weakness will cause ‘flopping’ into Df and causing knee buckling.
      I hope I am not too far off in my reasoning, any explanation please!

Hi Jackie! Great question!

Individuals with profound hamstring and/or plantarflexor weakness may have knee hyperextension in mid-stance due to a lack of eccentric control of knee extension (i.e., normally functioning hamstrings or plantarflexors could prevent the knee from snapping into hyperextension).

Of course, knee buckling is also possible with many of these impairments, as knee hyperextension is a compensation to seek passive stability. Notably, foot slapping during loading response is a function of ankle dorsiflexion weakness due to lack of eccentric control into plantarflexion.

Hope this helps!

Chrissy

Jackie Gomes
      Participant

Thanks Chrissy, I like the explanation of loss of eccentric control of the knee in midstance causing the hyperextension. Makes sense!

As this may be the last chance for correspondence Chrissy, I do want to thank you again for a wonderful experience in getting ready for the NCS. I would have no where felt prepared for it, if not for the detailed and well organized, amazing course you put together!! Regardless of the outcome, I do feel ready to take on and function much more confidently as a Neurologic PT.

Thank you,
      Jackie

Thanks so much for your kind words, Jackie! Good luck on the NCS exam! Please let me know how you feel after taking the exam, once you get your results, and anything you can think of that the NCS Advantage can improve that would’ve helped you feel better prepared!

Chrissy

Jackie Gomes
      Participant

I sure will Chrissy! Thank you!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.