Our discussion forums are available to anyone to read, but you must be a member to reply or start new topics. Log-in or register to get started.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Helen Carey 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Katelin Ludwig
    Participant

I am confused about the answer that is mentioned for this question.

Norm-referenced developmental and motor tests offer a variety of score outputs to interpret a child’s performance on the test. Which statistic below is a standard score used to express a score deviation from a mean of 100 and is often associated with a score classification?
    a. T-score
    b. Age equivalent score
    c. Z-score
    d. Percentile score

Z score is the answer but I thought Z score usually had a mean of 0 with a standard deviation of 1 and that the deviation quotient had a mean of 100 with a standard deviation of 15. I understand T score is not the answer it has a mean of 50 and a standard deviation of 10. Just looking for clarification as most tables of standard scores I have been looking at list the above values. Thank you!

Helen Carey
    Participant

Hi Katelin,
    Good catch, and I apologize for the confusion. This was a typo that carried through the question.

With a correct answer of “Z-score,” the explanation should be: A Z-score is a standard score computed by subtracting a child’s score from the test mean score and dividing by the test standard deviation; it is typically based on a mean of 0 (zero), is expressed as standard deviation from the mean, and can be positive or negative. A T-score is derived from the Z-score, based on a mean of 50, and always a positive value. Z-scores and T-scores are often used by test developers to determine cut offs for classifications such as “average,” “below average,” etc. A percentile score indicates the number of children of the same age expected to score lower than the subject child. An age-equivalent score reflects the mean raw score on a test obtained by a group of children in the normative sample at that specific age.

The question should have read: Norm-referenced developmental and motor tests offer a variety of score outputs to interpret a child’s performance on the test. Which statistic below is a standard score used to express a score deviation from a mean of zero and is often associated with a score classification?

Helen

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.